1.04.2010

AURORA FRS review.




Coming up with new ideas for this blog is a lot harder then I thought. I hope it will get easier. Well while thinking of what to post about I remembered I purchased something a little bit ago that I have not seen a review for. That item was a Foot Retention System (FRS) by a German company called Aurora. I really wanted to try this new FRS thing that was "sweeping" the fixed gear world. At the time I only knew a few companies like Hold Fast that made them. The only problem was that I would need to buy BMX pedals. That is when I found these Aurora straps. They were designed to work road pedals, and would fit perfectly with my MKS street/track pedals.


Now I know many may say "Are you tricking on that Pista Concept?" or something like that. The answer is no. However I really didn't like the toe overlap and I didn't like only being able to wear my Vans when I ride.

Well now onto the actual review. They took a few weeks to get here, and Aurora lets you know that since they are being shipped from Germany. Once they did arrive I was impressed with the quality. I threw them on the bike and went for a ride. The first problem I encountered was adjusting them. You need to adjust them at a stop since there buckle to simply pull and adjust. You need to adjust the four straps separately before you ride. This was kind of a hassle, however I saw on their site that they may develop ones with a buckle for ease of adjustment. (CAN I HAVE MINE REPLACED?) I may tryand add a buckle in mine, it doesn't seem like to much work.



Once I adjusted them everything was fine from there on out. I was a tad hesitant to skid with these cause I wasn't sure how they would respond. I went for it and didn't notice any difference from normal clips. I tested out the strength of the velcro by trying a few bunny hops here and there and they held up extremely well. I got one of the first batches and it looks like they haven't changed much. I highly recommend these if you want to go the FRS without having to buy platform pedals or solve your toe overlap problems since you can set the straps yourself.

For better pictures and their store head to site or store (They have some pretty sick shirts as well)

Sorry for the shit pictures. I am just using my phone. I've never owned a digital camera. Maybe it's time I invest in a SLR

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for this nice review. Hope you will enjoy the straps for a lot more miles.

    We are still working on/thinking about this fast adjust method, but we are not really hapy about this "metal parts scratching the crank" issue.

    we will see.

    thanks aggain.

    best wishes.

    sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wouldn't be an issue for most I'd assume. I am running a Sugino 75, and it already shows wear from my old straps. I would assume the overlapping fabric would touch more then the metal on metal.

    ReplyDelete